After seeing so many cute, easy home ideas, I'm totally inspired to go change the look of my house. I've never considered myself an amazing decorator (just a thrifty one!), but I think that's just me being critical of my style, because every else says they love my house. I like the "clean" look, or at least that's what I always do, but after seeing so many cute homes in blog land, I'm hoping to add a little spontaneity into my decorating style. Maybe drop the "matchy matchy" a little bit. I've been meaning to post pictures of the rental house we moved into when we moved to California in August and figured this would be the perfect time (these are just some rooms in the house). I think I've had a harder time loving this house (or it's decorating options) because we haven't painted any of the walls (we don't know how long we'll be in that house, so we don't want to invest time and money into it). I think painted walls add so much! I'm excited to be in a house for a longer period of time so I have more options and can invest into it.
I got the navy bowl at a yard sale and scored these topiaries at Pottery Barn for $9 each.
One of my favorite yard sale finds: leather chair (on the right) $40.
Can you tell what this sign says? I got the green bowl (and stuff in it) and two baskets at a yard sale. Table: Target.
I'm not in love with our couch (although comfy), but why are couches so expensive?! Definitely on our "save for" list. You can't really see the coffee table, but that is from a yard sale as well.
Not my first choice in wood (love white cabinets!)...seems like everything in this kitchen is the same color. Painted walls would probably help (in another color, that is)!
Flowers on island are from a yard sale. We made the bowl next to it at a pottery place.
Yard sale items: food processor (barely shown), green tray, blue & white pitcher, cookie jar, two apothecaries.
One of my favorite movies! Knife set on left was new from a yard sale (Martha Stewart collection) - paid $30 and saw them online for $150+.
As you can see, I'm still working on the dining room. I need something round (clock, mirror?) on one side.
This is the map where my husband marks all the places he's been while in the Air Force. I am inspired to paint that little table (from, where else, a yard sale!) on the left.
Target mirror marked down to $35.
Yard sale items: two yellow flower pictures. Normally $80 each...got them for $20 each.
Yard sale items: wire "bird cage", lamp, basket. Table: Target.
Master bedroom. I got the antique tile (above bed) at a yard sale, as well as the matching lamps on the nightstands.
I was given these night stands (which were two shades of brown), so I spray painted them cream. Kind of a temporary fix to buying night stands. The drawers don't open very well. They are very old!
The splurge of my house is this Pottery Barn dresser and bed set that we bought when we got married.
Yard sale items: hurricane and white frame.I'm so thankful for my home! After being in this apartment for a month, I am even more appreciative of it! Can't wait to go home and do some work!




I completely understand! That's how I felt when we were staying in a hotel in Duluth for three weeks last fall & I wanted to get home to Minneapolis to do some work on our apartment. We didn't paint the walls their either, which was a huge blah since they were all white. We were there for such a short time that we didn't want to go through the time & money of painting them and then having to paint them white again at the end. You are an amazing yard sale shopper! We don't have such great sales here, but any time I can get to the Minneapolis area during the summer I usually end up finding lots of great stuff. That's what I'll have to do next year when I know exactly what I'm looking for. I think your California place is adorable. You're a fantastic decorator!
ReplyDeleteShoot, I knew you were good at yard sales, but didnt realize HOW GOOD! I never knew you got a lot of that at sales! Great job, love your house! : )
ReplyDeleteI was a little obsessed last year with DIY projects and such for the house. It will be different from going to a house we own to privatized base housing. I'm going to miss the charm and painted walls here.
ReplyDeleteYou have found some amazing things at yard sales. I love the blue and white striped pitcher {I heart stripes! and the leather chair.
p.s. I love seeing all of your photos from your day trips. Love all the cute buildings!