Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Sunny days

Nothing much new to report. John is still working at night and sleeping during the day, so I usually only see him for an hour each day. Some days it gets me down, but I try to remember that if this were a normal deployment, I wouldn't be seeing him at all. I try to be thankful. I feel God helping me be supportive. He works tonight and then he has three days off which is what I look forward to. We'll try to plan some local trips. We still need to get our international licenses, so we'll wait to go to other countries for that. This weekend he starts working days, so 7am-7pm (although he's been working more like 13 hour days). So hopefully I will see him more. And it will be nice that his body will be more on track with sleep so we can travel more. Every few days I get stressed out at all he has on his plate. He hasn't had time to work on his masters much since he's been here, and I know he feels like it's always hanging over his head. I wish there was more I could do to help him.

My days mostly consist of going to the commissary, the BX, yesterday the library and post office. I think I'll make it an every other day thing to go get pretzels at the bakery on base. I could probably get fat eating those. I went to the thrift store and found a cookie sheet. I was excited to make cookies, so I came home and graced the sheet with delicious dough only to find out that the sheet was too big for the oven. I bought another cookie sheet today at the BX. It didn't fit horizontally, but it fits vertically. The cookies came out okay. They are still doughy, but too dark. There's a temperature conversion (from Fahrenheit to Celsius) on the wall, and a translation of the words around the oven dial, but I don't know which one to use. So far, "top and bottom" has worked the best. Being in another country is so cool for the exploration part, but it's things like this that make you miss being home where you understand what you're reading and doing. I'm also catching up on the blogs I like to read, and getting inspired by all these crafty ideas I want to try when I get home.

The commissary


The sun's been out the past few days which has been so nice. When I first got here, it was gray all the time. Tomorrow I hope to walk around Landstuhl while John catches up on sleep. Then maybe Kaiserlautern which is 15 minutes away. I bought eggos at the store, and I am excited about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment