Saturday, April 9, 2011

A wedding and a funeral

Life has been busy - mostly from trying to catch up after being out of commission for two weeks (from the surgery) and also after being gone for a couple weeks. I was still on crutches when I flew to WA for my friend's wedding. John took me to the airport which helped a lot.



My grandma was also dying (a couple weeks earlier, she had some blood clots and there was nothing they could do), so after I landed, I also went to see her. It was really weird seeing her that way...I really didn't like it...but it was the last time I ever saw her. It didn't seem like her at all. She died the next day, and because it was more sudden than my other grandparents' deaths, it was hard to deal with. It just didn't seem real. I was thankful I was home with my family though, and even though I had to change my plane ticket to go to her memorial services, I'm glad I was able to be there. It was great spending time with my family. I went to my niece's gymnastics class to watch her. She gets so excited when she's there! I also had fun with Asher.


John wasn't planning on coming to WA with me, but after my grandma died, he was able to get a free ticket from a friend who flies for Southwest. The only bad thing was that he could only come on the weekend (because of work), and my grandma's services weren't until the following week. He came anyway, just to be with me for a couple days, although I only really saw him for part of Saturday. The wedding was on Sunday, so I was gone all day. He came to the wedding, but could only stay at the reception for half an hour before he had to leave to catch his flight. Being in weddings where you don't know anyone is always a bit awkward, and it's basically my life story. I rarely know anyone else in the wedding party, but always try to make the best of it and support the bride. I did get to see some good friends at the reception and laugh like I used to.



The following week, we went to Ellensburg for my grandma's graveside service. We all met at Perkins after the service.

My sister-in-law and I.

The day after the graveside, we had a memorial service at my grandparent's old church. Here are all the cousins (and spouses) that were there. I hadn't seen some of them in years, so it was good to catch up. I was bummed John wasn't able to be there to meet some of them.


It's times like these that you really want your husband - even feel like you need him...but in my Bible study (The Power of a Praying Woman), there's a great verse that has been encouraging me. She makes it personal, saying, "My soul, wait patiently for God alone, for my expectations is from Him" Psalm 62:5. The NIV version says, "Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him." I have to choose to put my expectations in the Lord, and not in other people. John and I's schedules have been pretty conflicting the past month, so I'm happy to finally have some time with him in the next two weeks. He took me yardsaling today and to the outlets - what a good catch I got! Let's just say that my love tank is full right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment